Public Policy Director Job Description
This is a job description for a full-time position. The Board will work with the PPD to receive the necessary supports to set priorities for policy, growth and sustainability.
The Public Policy Director is responsible for the organization’s achievement of its vision, mission, goals/guiding principles and financial objectives in conjunction with the Board of Directors.
EDUCATION: Master level (preferred). Graduate of a college or university in a related field or equivalent.
EXPERIENCE: Must have at least five years of professional experience in the youth development field and/or a related field. Experience in advocacy and public education preferred.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS AND UNIQUE PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work is typically performed in an office setting, which may be in the home of the public policy director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with Board of directors to ensure the agency has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission and goals in a consistent manner and shows timely progress.
- Provide leadership in organizational and membership growth and retention.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance to the organization’s constitution and by-laws, federal, state and local regulations.
- Assures regular communication with the membership and the field.
- Plan and help reinvent an annual Symposium.
- Work with partner agencies on Youth agenda for national conferences.
- Direct and conduct the administrative functions in conjunction with the Executive Board.
- Supervise any professional and/or administrative staff.
- Provide the Board with full information on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
- Publicize the activities of the organization, its programs and goals.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with other national organizations.
- Represent the organization’s mission, goals and point of view to agencies, organizations and the general public.
- Present a quarterly report to the Board regarding all national-level participation of the executive director.
- Prepare administrative reports as needed.
- Serve on national task forces and committees as requested.
Budget and Finance:
- Develop in conjunction with Board annual budget and maintain sound financial practices.
- In conjunction with the Board, prepare and present financial and operation reports to the Board and general membership.
Policy and Advocacy:
- Provide identification, leadership and management of the National Network’s policy initiatives, projects and activities in collaboration with the board and relevant committees.
- Represent the National Network 4 Youth and communicate on its behalf on legislation, regulatory and administrative public policy issues
- Mobilize National Network 4 Youth members to take action on legislative, regulatory and administrative public policy issues related to youth and youth-serving organizations
- Respond to telephonic, electronic and written requests for public policy information from organization members and the general public.
- Foster partnerships with other organizations on public policy initiatives, projects and activities.
Other duties as assigned.