Vanguard Communications is currently looking for youth and young adults to be a part of SAMHSA’s (Substance Abuse Mental Health Services Administration) Annual National Children’s Mental Health Awareness Day 2011 event in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday, May 3, 2011 which will focus on Enhancing Resilience for Young People Dealing with Trauma.
The goal is to video tape youth and young adults who are currently in a place where they feel comfortable talking about past experiences with trauma and how they made it through. They are interested in also hearing about who or what was helpful, what was not as helpful, and inspirational insights of the young persons journey. The recording would begin in March 2011 in order to be edited in time for the May 3rd event.
Youth who are selected to have their story recorded and presented in DC will receive the following:
- $500 honorarium
- An national award of recognition from SAMHSA presented to them during the event
- A trip to Washington, DC with travel, lodging and per diem for the youth and 1 chaperone included
- The opportunity to meet and talk with invited celebrities
The youth and/or young adults interested in being a part of this event should have personal experience with early childhood trauma and have been able to stay resilient through it all. These experiences could be connected with:
- Bullying due to sexual orientation (LGBT)
- Urban violence
- Loss of Parent/Divorce
- Foster Care/Adoption
- Alcohol and/or Drug Abuse
- Family Violence
- Natural Disasters
- Military Families
- An intense event that threatens or causes harm to a youth’s emotional and physical well-being.
- An intense event that begins outside the youth and happens to the youth and overwhelms their ability to cope.
- The ability to deal with/handle stress and pressure.
- To cope with everyday challenges
- To bounce back from disappointments, adversity and trauma to develop clear and realistic goals to solve problems.
Please email, mail or fax this application to the following contact:
747 West Lombard Street, 4th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21201
(410) 706-6220 fax
For more information, please contact Marlene Matarese at (410) 706-0961
Please submit the application attached no later than Friday, February 11, 2011